Subject: Research Available on Senescence in Long-Lived Fishes
From: John Guerin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Apr 1997 19:59:26 -0700

You may recall previous postings I made inquiring about research studying
senescence in long-lived fishes.  In over a year and a half of literature
search and talking to dozens of researchers, I have not found research
addressing the longevity of fish such as sturgeon, flatfish, rockfish and
probably carp.  One difficulty of course is getting a supply of hundred
year old fish!

Recently, through working with the state of Alaska, I have come across
rockfish population samples that look very promising.  I have charts
that show Frequency/Age distribution, and Length/Age distribution.  I
will have them available soon as an e-mail attachment.

Of particular interest is the upper ages of this rockfish species, as
summarized in the following table.  The 573 total rockfish were randomly
sampled between 1994 - 1996, from commercial fish landings:

        Age Group     Freq        %

          50-59         28       4.9%
          60-69         29       5.1%
          70-79         11       1.9%
          80-89         10       1.7%
          90-99         10       1.7%
        100-107          4       0.7%

        TOTAL           92      16.0%

By selecting larger and "scruffier" looking rockfish, the proportion of
older fish in a sample could be increased significantly, ensuring a
sufficient sample size.  These fish are not endangered, and in fact
research on older fish might raise awareness about their diminishing
numbers.

A sample of these centenarian fish would allow comparison to younger
fish, to gradually senescent fish, and to other species.  Some potential
areas of research include reproductive and organ pathology, cellular
tests such as oxidative damage, and DNA analysis and comparison.

I can provides samples of these older rockfish to researcher(s)
interested in testing the above areas.  Funding is dependent on the
specific research plan developed.

If you are interested in this research, know of other researchers who
would be, or would like a copy of my abstract or additional information,
please send me an e-mail.  I will post additional information as
appropriate.

Sincerely, John C. Guerin