Subject: Aging of burbot and stone-loach
From: Philipp Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 26 Apr 1997 21:09:34 +0000

Dear fish-netters,
I have recently started to investigate the population structure of the two
benthic fish species, (juvenile) burbot (Lota lota) and stone loach
(Noemacheilus barbatulus) in the littoral zone of Lake Constance, Germany.
These two species are quite common in our lake and both are sharing the same
littoral habitats - the very shallow areas <50 cm water depth close to the
shoreline. I've now reached a point where I would like to determine age and
growth-rates of these two species and I am thinking about using otoliths to
examining daily growth increments etc. My question to the group is, if there
are any collegues out there which are working on either of these two species
to 1) share experiences and 2) to get starting tips on the method itself
especially for these two species..
Thanks a lot for your help
Philipp Fischer
**********
Dr. Philipp Fischer                                                    Tel:
++49 7531 88-4536
Limnologisches Institut                                              Fax:
++49 7531 88-3688
Universitšt Konstanz
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Mainaustr.212