Subject: Employment Opportunities at the MBL/fwd
From: Aldo-Pier Solari <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 28 Apr 1997 15:50:19 GMT

FYI. Received at FE-Request. Cheers, APS.

Forwarded message follows:

From: [log in to unmask]  (Human  Resources),  Marcia Donovan Human
Resources Asst.  Marine Biological Laboratory.

POSITION:             RESEARCH EXPERIENCE FOR UNDERGRADUATES
                      in Estuarine Ecology

DATE:                 April 4, 1997

Under  the  sponsorship  of  The  National  Science  Foundation's
"Research  Experience  for  Undergraduates  (REU)"  program,  The
Ecosystems Center of the Marine Biological  Laboratory  announces
an  opportunity  for  a  qualified and enthusiastic undergraduate
student  to  participate  in   an   ongoing  study  of  estuarine
ecological processes.  The research  focuses  on  the  transport,
transformation,  and  fate  of  riverborne nitrogen in the Parker
River estuary, MA.  Results to  date have been exciting.  We seek
to  expand  our   understanding   of   nitrogen   mineralization,
assimilation,  and  export  processes,  food  web  structure  and
function, and watershed-estuary interactions.

DUTIES:  The  REU  student  will  participate  in field sampling,
laboratory analyses, data analysis,  and discussion sessions, and
will complete an independent research  project,  working  closely
with    Ecosystems   scientists   in   this   multi-disciplinary,
interactive study.  Topics for independent study include (but are
not  limited  to):  dietary  preferences  among  major  fish  and
invertebrate  species;   within-estuary   habitat   fidelity  and
migration  of  fish;  the  trophic  role  of  meiobenthos;   and,
sedimentary  incorporation  of particulate nitrogen.  The student
will write  a  publication-quality  research  paper,  and present
results at the Marine  Biological  Laboratory's  annual  research
symposium in August.

EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE:  Applicants  should  have  a strong science
background and a demonstrated proficiency in academic coursework.
We seek a  student  who  shares  an  excitement about ecology and
science in general, who is interested in our  research,  and  who
demonstrates  a  willingness  to  learn  in a cooperative working
environment.   Previous   experience   in   aquatic  ecology  and
biogeochemistry is desirable.  These positions are open  only  to
U.S.   citizens  or  permanent  residents  who are undergraduates
(sophomores or juniors) currently  enrolled at U.S.  colleges and
universities

CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: The position is funded for two  months,
to begin 15 June, 1997.  A stipend of $1200 per month is offered.
Some funds for travel to Woods Hole are available.

DEADLINE: Extended to April 30

Please  send  1)  a letter of interest, 2) transcript of academic
courses and grades received, and  3) one letter of recommendation
to: Human Resources (re: NISOTREX), Marine Biological Laboratory,
7 MBL Street, Woods Hole, MA 02543.  Tel:  508-289-7422;  e-mail:
[log in to unmask]  (We can accept attachments in MIME and binhex for
Microsoft    Word     6.0     or     lower     versions)    Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative       Action/Non-smoking        workplace
Dee/Pet/Hughes
eof