Subject: blood gases in fish
From: Glenn Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 28 Apr 1997 10:36:36 -0500

Dear Fish-Folk,

I have the funds to purchase a blood gas analysis machine for studies on
ectotherms (fish/sharks primarily). I want to look at both pH and
temperature effects on the hemoglobin-oxygen dissociation curve. I will be
using solutions of hemoglobin rather than whole blood because I am
interested in looking at the different properties of various hemoglobin
polymorphs that occur in fish. We can separate the various polymorphs using
column chromatography.

The sales people I have spoken with are not particularly helpful. Does
anyone have experience with using a blood gas analysis system for looking at
the oxygen binding properties of fish hemoglobin:

1. in solution,
2. at various pH values and
3. over a range of temepratures?

At present I have information from Radiometer America but it is unclear if
the machine will run at anything other than 37 C and it is unclear if it
will work with solutions of hemoglobin.

Don't hit your reply button unless you want your response to go to the
entire list.

Glenn Parsons

Glenn R. Parsons
Associate Professor Biology