Subject: minimal streamflow for salmonids
From: sean Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 Apr 1997 22:30:10 -0700

        I am looking for information or comments on mnimal streamflow requirements
for salmonids.  I have a study stream with a 10-year, 7-day low flow
estimated at 14 L/s in which there are cutthroat trout and dolly varden char.

        The municipality this stream flows throgh already pulls water out for
domestic water supplies, to a maximum of 9 L/s, and due to local growth
would like to increase their withdrawal.  What they (and I) would like to
determine is a) how much water do the fish require?  b) can the water
license be increased without significantly affectinf the fish resource? and
c) by how much can the license be increased.

        Obviously there are numerous site-specific factors affecting this flow
determination but I am seeking suggested approaches to the problem.  I would
appreciate any input or directions to citations which would be helpful to
this problem.

                                        Thank You

                                        Sean Mitchell