Subject: Lobster mortality estimates
From: Dave Schoeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Apr 1997 11:18:05 SAT-2

Greetings FishE's.  I recently submitted this request to CRUST-L, but
obtained a poor response, any responses from this forum would be
greatly appreciated.

Our institute is currently attempting to develop an age/length
structured model, which will be used in a Bayesian assessment of a
deep water rock lobster (Palinurus gilchristi) resource.  One of the
aspects giving us problems at the moment is a reasonable estimate of M
(natural instantaneous mortality).  We have a few preliminary
estimates from size-distribution data, but these may have been biased
by fishing and selectivity patterns.  For this reason we are trying to
gather as many estimates of natural mortality rates amongst palinurid
lobster populations as possible, as this will enable us to construct a
reasonable prior distribution for this parameter.  Any input would be
greatly appreciated, especially in terms of estimates from the "grey
literature" of fishery reports etc.

Thanks for your time

- Dave

Dave Schoeman