Subject: Re[2]: Electrofishing methods
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Wed, 30 Apr 1997 09:18:00 -0400

     We electrofish small blackwater coastal plain streams in South
     Carolina and use dip nets during electofishing to scoop up fish.  The
     fish are then placed in a bucket of water or larger floatable
     container we carry/float with us.  We do not use a block seine but I
     understand it is useful for catching what you miss.  It seems to me
     that just using a block seine would be harmful to the fish - I imagine
     stronger currents in your area and suspect the fish would forcefully
     float into the net and be compressed as more fish are caught.  I would
     suggest using both a dip net to catch what you can and the block seine
     to get what you miss.  I also suspect you have some large sized fish -
     using a larger floating container would allow you to hold larger fish
     but you would probably need an individual just to manage the larger
     container.

     Any other thoughts?

     Hope this helps!