Subject: Re: Electrofishing methods, Allison's observations.
From: "Darrel E. Snyder" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Apr 1997 09:27:10 -0600

At 08:19 AM 4/30/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Sorry, no experience with that technique in question but with respect to
>electrofishing vs other techniques, I fished yellow perch in a Manitoulin
>Island lake and trapped-netted and tagged several thousand in the late
>1960s. A hundred or so fish were electrofished, dipped with a net and
>tagged and these were the only fish ever seen alive again. It was a
>shallow lake and most of the others were seen as corpses.
>
>cheers,
>
>William Allison (Bill)

Mr. Allison,

This sounds like a wild fish story.  It certainly goes against the grain of
expectations and logic if fish handling was similar for both capture
techniques. Are your observations documented?  Was this observation based on
one multi-gear collecting event, collections over a few weeks, a whole year
or several years?  How long after tagging were the survival observations
made?  Do you have any explanation or hypotheses as to why the electrofished
specimens survived capture, handling, and tagging and the trap-netted fish
did not?

Darrel E. Snyder               Research Associate
Larval Fish Laboratory         Curator, LFL Collection
33J Wagar Building             Telephone: (970)491-5295
Colorado State University      Fax: (970)491-5091
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1474    E-mail: [log in to unmask]
______ WEB- http://www.CNR.ColoState.edu/~desnyder/desnyder.htm _______

  For information on the Larval Fish Laboratory, check out our web page
__________ http://www.CNR.Colostate.edu/~desnyder/lfl97.htm ___________