Subject: Re: death by fishing
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Mon, 7 Apr 1997 12:30:01 -0700

On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Eric Schultz wrote:

> Then there's the (possibly apocryphal) story about the desert pupfish
> species that was extirpated in one collection, by Hubbs(?).  I don't
> have any reference information on this; has anyone else heard this
> one, and is armed with more specific information?

No pupfish species has been extirpated by collecting by anyone.  Not even
an individual population of pupfish has been lost in this way.  North
American extinct fishes and the causes for their extinction were detailed in
Miller, Williams, and Williams.  1989.  Extincions in North American
fishes during the past century.  Fisheries.  14: 22-29, 31-38.

Tootles

Peter J Unmack                  [log in to unmask]
DESERT FISHES RULE: To boldly thrive where no other fish can make it!

Australian desert fishes pages at ozdesertfish.base.org (don't forget to
visit the Desert Fishes Council pages too)
Native Fish Australia pages at nfa.base.org (under construction)
North American Native Fishes Association at www.nanfa.org