Subject: Re: Fish and salinity (fwd)
From: Steven H Jury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Apr 1997 14:19:09 -0400

Salinity reception is not extremely well studied. I have been working
with others in my lab on salinity reception in the lobster, Homarus
americanus, (this work is in prep and will be going to Comp. Biochem and
Physiol A within a few weeks). In inverts (I'm not as familiar with the
fish literature) salinity reception may be reception for a particular ion
(it appears to be solely Chloride in lobsters) or it may be reception for
osmolarity of the medium. The mechanism could be via swelling of
mechanoreceptors, or via specific ion channels. There also appears to be
nonspecific responses of chemoreceptors (possible due to damage and not
in as a sensory function) but how this is used by the animal is unknown.
I would be interested in other replies that you get. Good luck, Steve J.,
Univ. of NH