Subject: Re: fish model help
From: Chien-Hsiung Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:55:54 +0800

Dear Jon Eynon:

     As you know,  in the field of fishery management,  we need to know the
dynamic of the fish populations.  However, there are so many factors
which always influence the fluctuations of the fish populations.  So,  I
don't think  that it is necessary to use a complicate model to estimate
the fish stock.  I think a model with the characters of simply
understanding, esaily explaining,  and quickly calculation will be more
appreciable.  Like as surplus production model:  a very simple model
U=a-bX can be used to provide many information for fishery management.
And, a little change of this model:  U=a+b*ln(Bt/Bt+1)-cX. also being a
rather simple model.  This improved model also developed directly from
the Schaefer model.  It can be used to estimate the carrying capacity(K),
intrinsic growth rate(r) and catchability(q) simultaneously, due to the
parameters a=qK, b=qk/r and c=(q^2)K/r.  And then, it is easily to calculate
the historlic fishing mortality(F), biomass(B) and increment(dB=rB(1-B/K).
Hence, it seems useful for understanding the uncertainty and
fluctuation of fish stocks under human exploitations.  Really, it is too
simple to understanding the uncertainty and fluctuation of the fish
population sufficiently.  But, it does also provide so much information
of the exploited fish sotcks.

Chien-hsiung  Wang
Apr. 09,  1997.