Subject: Re: To junior & senior scientists
From: Ian Quittner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 9 Apr 1997 12:57:31 -0400

Aldo-Pier Solari wrote:

> I feel I've got to write down this:
>
> - At FE-request, I keep getting messages from  junior  scientists
> where  they tell me 'they've got to quit'.  The main reasons are:
>
>     - Cannot stand 'uncertainty' any longer
>         [uncertainty  with  regard  to  funds,  jobs  and  future
>          perspectives];

I think this sentiment is held by more than a few graduate students in
the marine sciences.  I feel this is a serious problem in the United
States.  Our government has done nothing to help citizens become more
educated.  There are no tax breaks (when the government can only stand
to gain from a better educated better paid citizenry) or any other
incentive to continue ones education.

As a graduate student with enormous loan debt how can one not feel
anything but despair.  I think it was an ad by Weyerhauser that sums it
all up .... It pictures a 10 yr old kid by a tree exclaiming that it
wasn't fair that a ball player makes millions of dollars a year but his
father makes a meager salary.  Which job is more important?