Subject: jobs
From: John Siegling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 9 Apr 1997 19:01:31 -0400

I have been reading with interest the job plights of others in this
forum and would like to add my two cents worth.

I am very much troubled by the government's liberal use of temporary
positions throughout the US fish and Wildlife Service. I have just such
a job. The pay is meager for my and so many others like myself who have
these types of temporary jobs, which may last for many years.

The reason for these positions is to hire help without having to provide
any sort of medical benefits for the workers. The private sector is os a
process of massive down-sizing and hiring of temporary workers in order
to increase profits. This is presumably getting attention from the
government because of its potentially drastic effects on the economy.

How can the givernment be concerned with health care ewhen it turns
right around and cheats its workers out of fair wages and coverage for
sickness?My wife spent one night in the hospital and the bill was for
more than I made in ten months at my government job which is involved in
working with (saving?) an endangered species of fish.

When I sent E-mail to the regional director of USFWS I received return
correspondence ripping me up  for not going through the proper chain of
command. I had been complaining to the chain for a year that I thought
it was  unconscionable for the government  to string people along as
temps year after year.

Personally I find it outrageous that people such as I are helping the
government from being as far into debt as it should be. It is little
people such as us temps who are financing the government. I really wish
that we all could get together so we could all quit all at once. The
government deserves such a treat.

The advice from the well wishers who say pick your graduate schools
better , etc. miss the mark by not addressing the fact that these
government positions would still be unaffected by all of that wonderful
advice.

If anyone knows of a more appropriate forum for this letter I would be
happy to send it there next time.

Cordially,

John S.