Subject: Re: Protection and Management of Giant Groper and Potato Co
From: "LECHANTEUR, YARG, YVES, LCHYVE001" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 15 Apr 1997 07:07:17 SAST-2

I am searching for any information on management measures
or protection measures for the Potato Cod (E. tukula) and the Giant
Grouper (E. lanceolatus), for example are they protected anywhere,
do they have size and > bag limits anywhere.

Dear sir
as long as I know, the two species are protected in South Africa, at
least from spearfishermen, as they cannot be speared legally.  Thia
was lifted a few years ago, with drastic consequences to the species
on the reefs.  I am not sure about the regulations for the anglers.