Expert on Snakehead fish (Channa spp)

Hans Guttman <[log in to unmask]>

Academic forum on fisheries ecology and related topics <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 May 1997 08:15:35 +0000

text/plain

Dear Fish Ecology

I am currently coordinating a programme working with management of
ricefield fisheries, the catching of 'wild' fish in ricefields (as
opposed to Rice-Fish which is usually cultured fish in ricefields).
Having looked around in the literature I realise that the sources I have
looked do have very little to offer to use as a basis for management
(community level and/or government), particularly with respect to the
biology/ecology of the fish and other animals in the ricefields.

What I currently need is some detailed information on the
ecology/biology of striped snakehead (Channa striata) but I have not
been able to get much apart from what is available in ICLARM's FishBase.
So I turn to the list to ask to whom to turn, who is (or has been)
working on Channa striata, and is likely to have infomration such as
fecundity rates, natural(?) mortality rates, growth rates (in nature),
how long it can 'hide' in mud/little water, migration/movement rates
when in ricefields/swamps, sensitivity to agricultural pesticides, etc.
etc.

Regards
--
Hans Guttman