Re: Electrofishing methods

Hans Guttman <[log in to unmask]>

Academic forum on fisheries ecology and related topics <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 May 1997 08:27:33 +0000

text/plain

Dear Fish-Ecology

I have a variation on the issues discussed regrading electrofishing.
This is used as a fishing practice in Vietnam, Lao PDR and Cambodia, and
though it is banned it is very common as it is difficult to enfors such
a ban.

What I would like to know is if there has been any studies done on the
'side-effects' of electrofishing. In otherwords, what are the long term
effect on big/small fish and fry? What is the damage to fish not
killed/stunned and caught? The objective of this is to be able to
identify when and where electrofishing is most damaging and device
management strategies to be able to control the most destructive use of
electrofishing.

Regards
--
Hans Guttman