Re: Periphyton and fish egg survival

"Eric A. Laux" <[log in to unmask]>

Academic forum on fisheries ecology and related topics <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 May 1997 21:25:26 -0400

text/plain

I did my graduate work on fish and egg survival after passing through hydro
power turbines. We would collect eggs in the tailrace and try and incubate
them in floating, flow thru chambers. I noted that we had some egg survival
in early parts of the year, prior to excessive periphyton growing on the
chambers, but in the heat of the summer, when periphyton levels were high, we
had no survival of eggs. I had pondered the idea that periphyton may be the
cause, but found nothing pertinent in the literature. I would guess that
there is an effect, but Im not sure why, perhapse a hardening of the outer
part of the egg? If you find anything, I would be happy to hear.

Eric L.