PIT-tags

""Asbjørn.Vøllestad"" <[log in to unmask]>

Academic forum on fisheries ecology and related topics <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 14 May 1997 13:35:17 +0200

text/plain

Dear fish ecologists

I am planning a research project where I will need to tag small brown trout
with individual tags (in small streams). Passive integrated transponder
tags seemed at first to be a good choice, since they are injected into the
body cavity and therefore do not interfere with the behaviour of the fish.
However, for females it seems to be a problem of tag shedding during
spawning. This is because the tags are small and the eggs are ovulated into
the body cavity before spawning. Does anyone on this list have experience
with tagging small salmonids with pit-tags, and also with loss of tags
during spawning.

Please answer via the back channel, and I can summarize responses to the list

cheers

Asbjorn Vollestad

Asbjorn Vollestad (professor, fish biology, freshwater ecology)
University of Oslo
Biological inst.
Dept. of zool.
P.O.Box 1050 Blindern