Pacific Hake -Reply

Morgan Busby <[log in to unmask]>

Academic forum on fisheries ecology and related topics <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 21 May 1997 12:00:02 -0700

text/plain

I would recommend that you try collecting live hake with hook and line.
Euphausids, shrimp, or cut squid would be appropriate bait on small long
shanked hooks. There are numerous areas in Georgia Strait and
northern Puget Sound where Pacific hake are known to aggregate. All
you need now is a boat with a good echosounder and a live tank. I am
interested in your research and would like to hear more about it. Is
Saanich Inlet B.C. an anaerobic basin? Please feel free to contact me
directly if you have any questions or care to discuss this matter further.
Morgan S. Busby
Research Fishery Biologist
Alaska Fisheries Science Center
National Marine Fisheries Service