Re: Sturgeons and rubber bands.

Academic forum on fisheries ecology and related topics <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 May 1997 12:06:44 -0400

text/plain

We have captured over 1600 adult shortnose sturgeon in the Kennebec River in
the State of Maine since 1977 and we found three which had rubber gaskets
around their head. These gaskets were cutting into the flesh and gills as
you described. I expect that they are swimming into these gaskets as they
feed on bottom.

Tom Squiers
Maine Department of Marine Resources