Subject: Stickleback Dummy
From: Nick Goodwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 23 May 1997 16:45:32 +0300

Hi,

As part of an experiment into how sex ratio effects parental care in the
three-spined stickleback I must establish whether fish are ready to mate.
To do this I present males and females with control fish to assess
receptivity and aggresion.

Can anybody give me some ideas for making a dummy/model stickleback?  They
are used quite widely but I haven't found a description of how to make
them.  For example what materials work best?

Also for those of you that have made and used models of fish before, what
are the problems associated with the observed behaviour of the experimental
fish if any?  Obviously by using a dummy you can have a 'standard' fish for
the whole experiment to remove differences in presentation fish, but run
the risk of not stimulating the fish enough to show full behaviour.  How
much of a problem is this?

I look forward to replies.

Nick Goodwin

Mr Nicholas Goodwin
School of Biological Sciences
University of East Anglia
Norwich, NR4 7TJ
England, UK

Tele: (+44) 01603 592056        Fax: (+44) 01603 592250
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
WWW Server URL: http://www.bio.uea.ac.uk