Subject: Re: dolphin deaths in the Gulf of Califo
From: "Trusewich, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 May 1997 14:21:00 +1300

Hi Howard

See if anyone beats me to this. With regards to your question, yes the
dinoflagellates and some diatoms produce potent neurotoxins which if
eaten through the food web, can take out a marine mammal or a person.
Most often the vector for humans is shellfish, but there have been cases
of toxins in fish livers which could explain the ceteacean mortalities.
Paralytic toxins can paralyze breating and the animals would asphixiate
and drown, or beach.

Consultant Scientist
Institute of Environmental Science
& Research Limited