Subject: "Swept Area"
From: Ecologia Pesquera - Invemar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 May 1997 23:00:14 +0500

Dear Fish-Ecologist:

At present we are studing the fish demersal communities of the Gulf of
Salamanca (Northestearn Colombian Caribbean Sea). For this purpose,
demersal biomass densities are calculed using the "Swept Area" method by
stratum. The question is: Does anybody know what are the most appropriate
"q" value (catchability coefficient) if we use a scientific trawl (mesh
size 4 cm) and each tow has a standard duration of 30 min?

Thanks in advance.

Luis Orlando Duarte C.
Proyecto Ecología Pesquera
INVEMAR - Marine and Coastal Institute