Subject: reserve/sanctuary impact
From: Romuald Lipcius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 May 1997 11:58:51 -0400

Dear Fish-Ecology Members,

Some colleagues and I are conducting a literature review on the impact of
sanctuaries and reserves in marine and estuarine habitats upon population
abundance, mean size, fishery yield, etc.  In the process, we have found
surprisingly few quantitative and experimentally sound demonstrations of
the effectiveness of sanctuaries and reserves with marine/estuarine
species, whether fished or not.  In particular, there seem to be one or
two convincing cases of the value of marine reserves (e.g. work in the
Philippines), but none on sanctuaries (i.e. those areas protected from
fishing, such as spawning sanctuaries).  We are concerned that we may be
missing important research in this area, and thus, we ask anyone with
literature on this topic to send us peer-reviewed or grey-literature
references.  We will compile these, present the review on these at the
Society for Conservation Biology meeting 6-9 June in Victoria, Canada, and
make them available to you.  Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Rom Lipcius

P.S. Please excuse the cross-posting.

   --note: new phone and fax numbers--
| Rom Lipcius                           |
| Associate Professor of Marine Science |
| School of Marine Science/VIMS         |
| The College of William and Mary       |
| Gloucester Point, Virginia 23062      |
|       phone:  804-684-7330            |
|       fax:    804-684-7250            |
|       e-mail: [log in to unmask]            |