Subject: Re: reserve/sanctuary impact
From: Alphonse MacDonald & Alexis de la Rosa - MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 May 1997 18:47:41 +0200

I beleive the university of Treste Italy has worked in this area at the WWF
marine reseve of Miramare. You can contact them by e mail at
or by visiting their web site at
http://www.univ.trieste.it/~wwfmiram/

Hope they can help

At 11:57 AM 5/8/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Dear Fish-Ecology Members,
>
>Some colleagues and I are conducting a literature review on the impact of
>sanctuaries and reserves in marine and estuarine habitats upon population
>abundance, mean size, fishery yield, etc.  In the process, we have found
>surprisingly few quantitative and experimentally sound demonstrations of
>the effectiveness of sanctuaries and reserves with marine/estuarine
>species, whether fished or not.  In particular, there seem to be one or
>two convincing cases of the value of marine reserves (e.g. work in the
>Philippines), but none on sanctuaries (i.e. those areas protected from
>fishing, such as spawning sanctuaries).  We are concerned that we may be
>missing important research in this area, and thus, we ask anyone with
>literature on this topic to send us peer-reviewed or grey-literature
>references.  We will compile these, present the review on these at the
>Society for Conservation Biology meeting 6-9 June in Victoria, Canada, and
>make them available to you.  Thanks for your help.
>
>Sincerely,
>Rom Lipcius
>
>P.S. Please excuse the cross-posting.
>
>   --note: new phone and fax numbers--
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>| Rom Lipcius                           |
>| Associate Professor of Marine Science |
>| School of Marine Science/VIMS         |
>| The College of William and Mary       |
>| Gloucester Point, Virginia 23062      |
>|       phone:  804-684-7330            |
>|       fax:    804-684-7250            |
>|       e-mail: [log in to unmask]            |

Alphonse & Alexis MacDonald
http://www.dclink.com/macdonal

They that go down to the Sea,
That do business in great waters,