Subject: INTRO: SHAD FOUNDATION
From: Rich Hinrichsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 May 1997 13:21:27 -0700

My name is Richard Hinrichsen, and I am with
the Shad Foundation -- an international nonprofit
corporation for the study, protection, and
celebration of shad species around the world.  We
focus on the the subfamily alosinae, which
includes the genera Alosa, Brevoortia, Ethmidium,
Ethmalosa, Hilsa, Tenualosa, and Gadusia.

Our quartlerly newsletter, "The Shad
Journal," treats the biology, history,
anthropology, management, systematics, and other
issues surrounding the shad worldwide. In the
next issue, Wang Hanping of China and Richard
St. Pierre of the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
discuss the life history, fisheries, and
management of Reeves shad (Tenualosa reevesii)
in China. Other issues have featured
Hilsa shad (Tenualosa ilisha) of Bangladesh,
a 108-year-old haul-seine fishery for American shad
(Alosa sapidissima) on the Delaware
River (U.S), and the American shad's
rapid invasion of the Pacific coast of North
America after their introduction tot he Sacramento
River in 1871.

We have members from Kuwait, U.K., Norway,
Bangladesh, Canada, France, Sweden, China,
and Iraq, and are inviting members from
other countries with an interest in shad
populations.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with
information on your current research on shad.
We invite your letters and articles for
publication.

If you are interested in learning more about
the Foundation and its publication, please
see our web pages at

http://www.cqs.washington.edu/~hinrich/foundation.html.

 Richard Hinrichsen  Email:  [log in to unmask]
 President           Voice: (206)-616-7449
 Shad Foundation     WWW: http://www.cqs.washington.edu/~hinrich/index.html