Subject: Pacific Hake
From: Jacqueline O'Connell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 May 1997 03:05:37 -0700

Greetings Fish Ecologists!

I am a graduate student in biology at the University of Victoria and am
interested in tracking down some live Pacific Hake (a.k.a Pacific Whiting;
Merluccius productus).  For my research project, I am working on putting
together a paleoecological reconstruction of Pacific Hake populations (among
other fish) in Saanich Inlet B.C. based on the record of their scales
preserved in the sediments of the inlet.  To calibrate my methods, I hope to
set up tanks of Pacific Hake to monitor deciduousness (scale loss) in these
fish...the problem is that I can't find anyone who raises hake and from what
I have read/learned so far, these fish do not take kindly to being handled
and often die in trawl nets before reaching the surface.  Can anyone suggest
where I may get my hands on some live fish in the Pacific Northwest...even
if just for a "loan" as I intend to keep them alive and happy as I conduct
my study?

Thanks in advance!

Jacqueline O'Connell
Department of Biology