Subject: Small mesh gill nets
From: Alec Dale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 May 1997 15:59:17 -0400

Hi, I am a graduate student working on YOY yellow perch in the Lakes St.
Clair and Erie.  I am looking for small mesh gillnets that will
catch post-settlement perch smaller than about 36 mm FL.  Previously, our
lab has had good success in catching fish over 36 mm (FL) with the gill
nets that we have (16 mm stretch and up).  I have tried several of the
larger net companies and none seem capable of making nets of smaller
mesh.  Specifically I would like a net in the 8-12 mm (.25-.5 ") stretch
mesh size.  Does anyone have any experience using nets of this size and
if so, do you know where I could get my hands on some?  I spoke to a
German colleague who used small mesh nets for YOY European perch <36 mm and
had good success, but he had to get them from Japan.  If possible, I would
like to find something in N.A. just to cut down on cost and time.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Alec Dale
Biology Dept.
University of Windsor