Subject: Re: Dissection of Snails
From: Judith Weis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 May 1997 18:27:26 EDT

> We have collected some snail samples from the Arthur Kill, New
> Jersey and plan to analyze them for petroleum hydrocarbons.  We
> are looking for procedures to dissect these samples to get the
> snails out in the sample jars.  It is necessary that the dissection
> techniques would cause minimum contamination of the samples.  Any
> help from this group will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Ashok Deshpande
> NOAA-NMFS
> Sandy Hook Marine Laboratory

I assume the snails are already dead? You could try bashing the shell
with a (clean) hammer to get the tissue out.

1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"   W.S. Gilbert
1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
         and pollution.       \ \
                             \ \ \
Judith S. Weis   Department of Biological Sciences
   Rutgers Univ.  Newark NJ 07102      [log in to unmask]