Help for ESFO-L Archives

ESFO-L Archives

Subject: ESfO-l: Publication Announcement
From: Jeff Marck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 25 Jul 1997 08:31:51 +1100

ESfO-l Subscribers,

Some authors have just sent me a book announcement. I consider posting such
announcements good use of the list and have posted it below. I hope all
subscribers feel free to post such announcements to the list.

Thank you,

Jeff Marck

The book announcement:
--------------------------------------

Millennial Markers
Edited by Pamela J. Stewart and Andrew J. Strathern

Ideas relating to the number 666, the skin, computers, bar codes, the Pope,
the Antichrist, the earth's decline,  human sacrifice, the 'rapture', space
rockets, and the prophecies in Revelations: these are some of the topics
taken up in this original set of papers, emerging from an electronic
conference organized through the Centre for Pacific Studies at James Cook
University, Townsville, Australia, in July 1997.

The overall conference topic was 'millennial markers': ways in which
peoples are attempting to create meanings for historical happenings in the
years immediately prior to 2,000 A.D.

The main focus is on a transect of montane New Guinea cultures in which new
Christian ideas jostle indigenous ontologies of decline and renewal.  These
ethnographic studies of

the Urapmin by Joel Robbins,
the Huli by Christopher Morgan, and
the Oksapmin by Lorenzo Brutti

are all new and take up different perspectives on phenomena that are
sweeping through the contemporary Pacific.

Theo Ahrens provides reminders of earlier markers in European  history
exported to the Pacific by missionaries, and

Pamela J. Stewart and Andrew Strathern give an overview, suggesting
directions for future research.

$7.50 Australian, $6.00 US

Townsville:Centre for Pacific Studies
ISBN0 86443 639 4

Jeff Marck             Health Transition Review (HTR)
Publications Officer   Health Transition Centre (HTC)
[log in to unmask]  National Centre for Epidemiology
61-6-249-5626              and Population Health (NCEPH)
61-6-249-5614 (fax)    Australian National University(ANU)
                       Canberra ACT 0200 Australia

NCEPH: http://www-nceph.anu.edu.au
HTC: http://www-nceph.anu.edu.au/htc.htm
HTC Publications:
    http://www-nceph.anu.edu.au/htc/htcpub.htm
      Health Transition Review (journal)
      Health Transition Series (books)
      Bibliographies and other links
Personal homepage:
    http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~marck/marck.htm
Austronesian On-Line:
    http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~marck/anhmpg.htm
European Society for Oceanists Australian Mirror Site:
    http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~marck/esfo/esfo.htm