Subject: Re: from draft-ietf-http-negotiation-03.txt
From: Jacob Palme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 5 Aug 1997 05:57:20 +0200

At 13:45 -0700 97-08-03, Einar Stefferud wrote:
> Thanks Jacob -- Next question...
>
> I gather that via EMail, we might deal with the negotiation
> requirement by just sending all the alternatives.  This of course
> could lead to sending grossly large messages of which one small
> portion is really wanted.
>
> I suppose that we might need a new MIME type, perhaps called
>
>                 application/http-negotiation
>
> perhaps with negotiation information in registered parameters?
>
> I wonder how hard it would be to to develop this in concert with the
> HTTP negotiation protocol efforts?

Most plain text and plain html messages are usually not very large,
so that this would be a problem. There are a few large messages,
and messages get large by including large images.

So if you use multipart/alternative, you should arrange it in
such a way that only the text itself is sent twice (in HTML
and in plain text format) but that accompanying images are only
send once and can be used from both forks of the multipart/alternative.
Our "info" document discusses how to do this.

Another choice would be not to send large images, only send
references to them. In HTML, this can be done by just sending
the HTML text, but not the images it refers to. For plain
text, the Message/external body part can be used. If a message
is sent in two alternates, one HTML, one plain text, then
the HTML can contain image links in the HTML code, while the
plain text can be combined with a message/external to refer
to where the image can be downloaded.