Subject: Re: More on wrongly(?) formatted urls
From: Larry Masinter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 24 Aug 1997 21:11:37 PDT

I don't think the standard should make normative statements ("MUST" and
"MUST NOT") in the middle of what is actually just implementation
advice.

The standard is about what you MUST or MUST NOT send. We're saying
that you MUST send URLs that are consistent with the body of the
text, and then we give a couple of different ways of implementing
it. You can recommend one over the other, but why don't you avoid
trying to mandate which of three methods to use when there are
lots of possibilities for how to fix up stuff that's broken.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter