Subject: Re: More on wrongly(?) formatted urls
From: Jacob Palme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 25 Aug 1997 12:01:32 +0200

At 14.30 -0700 97-08-24, Einar Stefferud wrote:
> Now, I have a new question -- Does this text belong in the standard or
> in the Information RFC?  Does this go into the Standard as "How to be
> liberal in handling what is received"?  It seems to be talking about
> how to prepare HTML for sending.

It belongs to the standard. This is advice which has to be adhered
to, otherwise the standard will not work in the cases we are discussion.
Part of the text might be moved to the informational document, but
it is better to keep everything in the same place, readability will
be reduced if we split it, especially since references from the
standard to the info document are not allowed.

At 00.26 -0700 97-08-25, Larry Masinter wrote:
> OK, here's my cut.

We are moving in circles. Your text is very good, but it does not
say that we primarily want to recommend method (b), which some
other people say that we should.

Here is a new draft of the text. The text below is based on Larry's
latest text, with the following changes:

- Separate standards text (MUST, MUST NOT, SHOULD) from recommendations.

- Certain changes of wording to clarify what is standards text (MUST,
  MUST NOT, SHOULD) and what is advice/recommendations.

- Removed one duplicate of the same thing said twice.

--- --- --- new proposed text --- --- ---

   Handling of URLs containing inappropriate characters

   Some documents may contain URLs with characters that are
   inappropriate for an RFC 822 header, either because the URL
   itself has an incorrect syntax or the URL syntax standard has
   been changed to allow characters not previously allowed in
   MIME headers. These URLs cannot be sent directly in a mail
   header. There are two approaches that can be taken when
   encountering such a URL as the text to be placed in a Content-
   Location or Content-Base header:

   a) In some situations, an implementation might be able to
      replace the URL with one that can be sent directly. This might
      be accomplished, for example, by using the encoding method of
      RFC 1738 to replace inappropriate characters within the URL
      with ones encoded using the %nn encoding. This replacement
      MUST in that case be done both in the header and in the HTML
      text which has a hyperlink which is to match the header. Since
      the change is done in both places, a receiving mailer need not
      decode it, and MUST NOT decode RFC 1748-encoding before
      matching hyperlinks to body parts.

   b) The URL might be encoded using the method described in RFC
      2047. This replacement MUST only be done in the header, not in
      the HTML text.  Receiving clients must decode the RFC 2047
      encoding before comparing hyperlinks in body text to URLs in
      Content-Location headers.

      With method (b), the charset parameter value "US-ASCII" can be
      used, or, if the URL contains octets outside of the 7-bit
      range, "UKNOWN-8BIT" [RFC 1428] or "UTF-8" may be appropriate.
      Note that for the MHTML processing of (matching URLs in body
      text to URL in) Content-Location headers the choice of
      character encoding need not be the "correct" choice. It need
      only be a choice which, after reversal of the encoding by the
      receiving mailer, returns the same octet string as before the
      encoding.

   Caution should, however, be taken in using method (a), since,
   in general, this encoding can not be applied safely to
   characters that are used for reserved purposes within the URL
   scheme. In addition, changing the HTML body which contains the
   URL might invalidate a message integrity check. Because of
   these problems, this method SHOULD only be used if it is
   performed in cooperation with the author/owner of the
   document.