Subject: Re: from draft-ietf-http-negotiation-03.txt
From: Jacob Palme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 5 Aug 1997 22:02:31 +0200

At 09:30 -0700 97-08-05, Einar Stefferud wrote:
> Thanks Jacob -- Looks to me that you have the topic well covered;-)...
>
> Now, have we thought much about how all this will work if two separate
> messages want to reference each others MIME parts?
>
> Suppose that I subscribe via EMail to a periodical of some kind that
> will include future references to MIME barts in past issues, by URL or
> by MID/CID references.
>
> Does our MHTML spec cover this situation, or does it just punt on this
> question?  Seems to me that this scenaaario is clearly in our future.

RFC 2110 probably allows this, since it says that Content-ID can
be used to identify a body part, and MIME Content-ID-s are globally
unique according to RFC 2110.

However, RFC 2110 says:

   A body part, such as a text/HTML body part, may contain hyperlinks to
   objects which are included as other body parts in the same message
   and within the same multipart/related content.

And this might of course be interpreted to mean that hyperlinks to
body parts in other messages are not allowed, but I do not think
that was the intention.

RFC 2110 also says:

   If a message contains one or more MIME body parts containing links
   and also contains as separate body parts, data, to which these links
   (as defined, for example, in RFC 1866 [HTML2]) refers, then this
   whole set of body parts (referring body parts and referred-to body
   parts) SHOULD be sent within a multipart/related body part as defined
   in [REL].

This however only applies to body parts within the same message,
so this probably will not forbid references to body parts in other
messages.

Anothing thing is that many implementations may have problems with
links between messages!