Subject: Re: from draft-ietf-http-negotiation-03.txt
From: Jacob Palme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 3 Aug 1997 11:35:14 +0200

At 13:57 -0700 97-07-29, Einar Stefferud wrote:
> What possible interactions or relationships exist between this
> HTTP version of "Multipart/Alternative" and the MIME verion of
> Multipart/Alternative.
>
> Is there any straight forward way for someone trying to send a copy of
> such content using MIME Multipart/Alternative?
>
> Or is this just not possible, and thus a dead issue?
>
> Cheers...\Stef

Yes, this is allowed, see the following quote from RFC 2110:

   The root body part of the multipart/related SHOULD be the start
   object for rendering the object, such as a text/html object, and
   which contains links to objects in other body parts, or a
   multipart/alternative of which at least one alternative resolves to
   such a start object.  Implementors are warned, however, that many
   mail programs treat multipart/alternative as if it had been
   multipart/mixed (even though MIME [MIME1] requires support for
   multipart/alternative).

A discussion of techniques for using multipart/alternative is included in
ftp://ftp.dsv.su.se/users/jpalme/draft-ietf-mhtml-info-06.txt.

There is an issue of how to specify the "type" parameter to
"Multipart/related" when it refers to a "Multipart/alternative"
body parts, which will be discussed in Munich.