Subject: Re: ISSUE: Multiple content-location headers
From: Jacob Palme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 16 Nov 1997 10:31:03 +0100

At 08.32 +0000 97-11-12, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Alex Hopman writes:-
>
> > draft-ietf-mhtml-rev-03 says "There MUST only be a single
> > Content-Location header in each message or content-heading".
> > I'm not sure I see the need for this restriction.
>
> I can find no instance of an RFC 822 or MIME defined header of which there
> can be multiple occurances. Under these circumstances, introducing one in
> MHTML seems like a bad idea, unless we have a pressing need to do so, and I
> don't see one in this case.

The text already says that a heading can have both a Content-Location
and a Content-ID header field. Since the document is sometimes
referred to through more than one URI or URL, why not allow it?
This could be references to a document which is mirrored on several
different hosts, and the sender wants to convey this information
to the recipient.

From an implementor's point of view, having to cope with both
a Content-Location and a Content-ID header field, the implementor
anyway has to be able to handle multiplce such identification
fields.

One reason against it might be the Base. Another, of course, is
if some implementors has strongly committed his implementation
to a solution which does not allow this.