Subject: Re: Notes on MHTML-Rev-04
From: Jacob Palme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 26 Nov 1997 19:11:22 +0100

At 08.25 -0800 97-11-25, Alex Hopmann wrote:
> 13) Section 8 (skipping ahead since it is referenced at the end of section
> 5). This whole section concerns me, since it becomes unclear where the
> normative text is. For example, at the end of section 5, the following line
> occurs. I think this line should be deleted anyway. I'm not sure what we
> should do about section 8 since it provides useful text. We could either (a)
> leave it, (b) merge it into other sections or (c) delete it.

I agree, there is a problem that section 8 partly repeats what is said
elsewhere. On the other hand, section 8 gives a very easy-to-understand
description and removing it will make the document more difficult to
understand.

Perhaps we should accept that some information is repeated. Perhaps
this need not be considered a problem. The problem only occurs if
there is a contradiction. If there is no contradiction, it does not
matter which text is considered normative. And there should of course
not be any contradictions in a standard.