Help for ESFO-L Archives

ESFO-L Archives

Subject: Maritime Research Query
From: Debbie Beavis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Jun 1998 18:14:41 +0100

Hi all

I wonder if anyone is able to advise me. I have been endeavouring to locate
information regarding a Finnish-born Master Mariner who was working in
Samarai, Papua New Guinea in 1920/21. (His career may have extended well
beyond then in either direction).

I know he was born in Abo/Turku around 1880 but have no idea where he
underwent his training in seamanship, nor the circumstances of his arrival
in Samarai and what eventually happened to him. He was reportedly master of
a pearling lugger but that is unproven. I only know that Burns Philp have no
record of him. As a maritime historian in the UK I have checked all the
sources available to me here but have drawn a blank.

If anyone can suggest what he may have been doing in Samarai (the likelihood
of it being pearling), any shipping or pearling companies operating there
who may have employed him, or any suggestions for tracing details of his
service and the name of his vessel, or anything else about him I should be
very grateful if they could kindly email me.

Many thanks

Debbie Beavis