Subject: Eudora 4.0.1 and MHTML
From: Jacob Palme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Jun 1998 20:58:25 +0200

I have just downloaded version 4.0.1 of Eudora for the
Macintosh. It has much better support for MHTML than Eudora
4.0. Added features:

(1) You can now send plain text and html in the same
    message using multipart/alternative, just as with Outlook
    Express and Netscape.

(2) Eudora does not just omit HTML features it cannot
    handle, it shows them some way or other. An image to be
    downloaded at read time, is now showed as a broken image
    symbol, instead of just being omitted. The user can easily
    use the command "Open in Browser" in the "File" menu.

I also noted that Netscape seems to have problems with
national 8-bit characters in HTML messages. Thus, it is
better to use "&Ouml;" rather than "" for the Germanic
character O with two dots. This is probably a Macintosh-
only problem, caused by the fact that Macintosh does not
use ISO 8859-1 for local storage of text.

Because of this, I have updated my web page with advice on
how to send HTML in e-mail to indicate these observations
at URL http://www.dsv.su.se/~jpalme/ietf/web-email.html. I
have only tested Eudora, Netscape and Outlook Express, so
if someone notes some additional observations of value for
other mailers in the above web page, please tell me.