Subject: Re: Font sizes in mail and web pages
From: Pete Resnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 11 Jun 1998 10:33:43 -0500

On 6/11/98 at 2:58 PM +0900, Martin J. Duerst wrote:

>SCENARIO B
>==========
>
>Somebody else uses an integrated tool (i.e. Communicator
>for both email and browsing). This tool only has a single
>default font size. The user also wants to look at e.g.
>mail with 9pt, and web pages with 12pt. To achieve this,
>s/he somehow sets mail to <FONT SIZE="-1"> or <FONT size="2">.

No. This is wrong. I don't care what this person sets up as a mail viewing
or composing size in their mail program; whatever that is should *NEVER* be
sent out on the net. That's a broken MUA doing that. If it's Eudora, I will
make sure that it gets fixed. There is no way that *user default*
information should ever touch the net. If I am visually impaired and my
user default is a 36 point font, I sure don't want to send my recipients
mail with <FONT SIZE="+8"> on ever message. That's dumb.

If one of these integrated packages insists on providing one place to enter
font size and then gives you a relative size off of there to view and
compose mail, they should *NOT* send that relative size out on the net.

If this needs to be made explicit in the info document, so be it.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
QUALCOMM Incorporated