Re: (Fwd) Re: [MHTML] Good usage of HTML in e-mail

Jamie Zawinski <[log in to unmask]>

IETF working group on HTML in e-mail <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Feb 1999 03:14:36 -0800

text/plain

Jacob Palme wrote:

> (3) Why use size=-1

[ ... contorted reasoning about why SIZE=-1 is a good idea elided ... ]

The fact remains that when you wrap SIZE=-1 around the entire web
page, you render the page unreadable to me, because you are ignoring
the well-defined and proper meaning of SIZE=3.

> (h) Note that almost all major web pages, like
> Alta Vista, Microsoft, Apple, Netscape, Yahoo,
> etc. use "size=-1", often in combination with
> a non-serif font, when handling text which has
> a limited line length. Are all these web
> pages wrong?

Yes.

> Are they all made by people who
> do not understand how web standards work?

One can only assume so.

> How would you recommend them to format their
> web pages, and why?

SIZE=3 is the default size. Acknowlege, move on.

In fact, these people are not designing "web" pages. They are
designing "MSIE on Windows" pages. The two are completely different
things.

--
Jamie Zawinski
[log in to unmask] http://www.mozilla.org/ (work)