Subject: Re: Good usage of HTML in e-mail
From: Jacob Palme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Feb 1999 20:45:10 +0100

At 19.14 +0100 99-02-03, one person wrote in a personal letter to me:
> points d and e are pretty far out generalizations, you know.
> points f and g are very personal opinions.

Yes, you are right. But that seems to be the way most
designers of high-volume web pages do, there is a lot
of narrow-column, short-line-length, size=2 text in
almost all major high-volume web sites. My intention
was to try to describe why they do it this way.

Of course, one could add an additonal clause to my
list:

(i) Since so many major web sites use this reasoning,
    users adjust to it by setting their web browser
    settings so that such pages look neat.

Perhaps I should also add that it was not my intention
to claim that people consciously reason through all
the steps in my list. Rather that this kind of cause-
and-effect is forming the web by not-explicitly-
specified actions.