Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: [MHTML] Good usage of HTML in e-mail
From: Jamie Zawinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Feb 1999 03:14:36 -0800

Jacob Palme wrote:

> (3) Why use size=-1

[ ... contorted reasoning about why SIZE=-1 is a good idea elided ... ]

The fact remains that when you wrap SIZE=-1 around the entire web
page, you render the page unreadable to me, because you are ignoring
the well-defined and proper meaning of SIZE=3.

> (h) Note that almost all major web pages, like
>     Alta Vista, Microsoft, Apple, Netscape, Yahoo,
>     etc. use "size=-1", often in combination with
>     a non-serif font, when handling text which has
>     a limited line length. Are all these web
>     pages wrong?

Yes.

>     Are they all made by people who
>     do not understand how web standards work?

One can only assume so.

>     How would you recommend them to format their
>     web pages, and why?

SIZE=3 is the default size.  Acknowlege, move on.

In fact, these people are not designing "web" pages.  They are
designing "MSIE on Windows" pages.  The two are completely different
things.

--
Jamie Zawinski
[log in to unmask]    http://www.mozilla.org/   (work)