Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: [MHTML] Good usage of HTML in e-mail
From: Jacob Palme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 4 Feb 1999 02:49:22 +0100

At 12.14 +0100 99-02-03, Jamie Zawinski wrote:
> The fact remains that when you wrap SIZE=-1 around the entire web
> page, you render the page unreadable to me, because you are ignoring
> the well-defined and proper meaning of SIZE=3.

Exactly. "Size=-1" should only be used when you can control line
length. That is what I wrote!

> >     Are they all made by people who
> >     do not understand how web standards work?
>
> One can only assume so.
>
> >     How would you recommend them to format their
> >     web pages, and why?
>
> SIZE=3 is the default size.  Acknowlege, move on.

SIZE=3 was indented to be the default size. But for the
reasons I indicated in my message, "SIZE=3" is mainly a
default size for those web pages, which do not employ line
length control.

In reality, there should be two default font sizes, one for
lines without line length control and one for lines with
line length control. Since the user needs for font sizes
are different in those two cases, for many users. But since
the standard only allows one default size, many users set
this default size to what is best without line length
control, and then get too large font for lines which do
employ line length control.

> In fact, these people are not designing "web" pages.  They are
> designing "MSIE on Windows" pages.  The two are completely different
> things.

?? I would guess almost all of these big sites have unix
engines, not Windows engines.