Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: [MHTML] Good usage of HTML in e-mail
From: Jamie Zawinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Feb 1999 18:12:47 -0800

Jacob Palme wrote:

> At 12.14 +0100 99-02-03, Jamie Zawinski wrote:
> > The fact remains that when you wrap SIZE=-1 around the entire web
> > page, you render the page unreadable to me, because you are ignoring
> > the well-defined and proper meaning of SIZE=3.
>
> Exactly. "Size=-1" should only be used when you can control line
> length. That is what I wrote!

Huh?

I don't care about line length, I care about fonts that are large enough
that I can read them.

I don't buy your assumption that the reason people are cranking down the
font size is because they care about line length.  In fact, I would
wager that most web site designers have never even given a thought to
line length.

> > In fact, these people are not designing "web" pages.  They are
> > designing "MSIE on Windows" pages.  The two are completely different
> > things.
>
> ?? I would guess almost all of these big sites have unix
> engines, not Windows engines.

Oh come now, you know as well as I that the machines on which the
sysadmins are running the web server has absolutely nothing to do with
the machines on which people are authoring content.

--
Jamie Zawinski
[log in to unmask]    http://www.mozilla.org/   (work)