Subject: Re: Good usage of HTML in e-mail
From: Uzi Paz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 9 Feb 1999 05:11:06 +0200

As for browsers:
I'm setting the font size to see the text messages the way I like them.
Browsers can also show me regular text files. I choose the size of the
fonts so as to see the text in a text file the way I like it. Now I wish to
see the text of the HTML file also in this very same size and type that I
like in .txt files.

Now as a web developer, set the font sizes on the web pages
accordingly (which means to leave them unset), and set the line length
according to the size of the fonts and not the opposite.

On E-mail, the text viewer may use different fonts for text and for HTML,
but I assume that it is the same.

Another thing:
On 6 Feb 99, at 14:13, Jacob Palme wrote:
> But shorter lines are readable in smaller fonts than longer lines.

I feel exactly the opposite - more characters, means more width, means
tendency to use shorter fonts (decreasing width) and more space
between lines (to help the eye to follow the line, and then to go back
and locate the next line).

Less characters, and you can afford yourself to use larger fonts and
smaller space between lines, helping those who have poor resolution on
their screens. Price: scrolling.

But also here: choose the line length (in number of characters)
according to the font size and text width (as in web pages usually not
all the width of the page is used for text) and not the opposite.

Uzi